Wednesday, January 29, 2014

WOYWW #243 -- Snowmaggedon

Good Wednesday Morning! Oh my...so the Atlanta are (well,South side) was expecting 1-2 inches of snow with little accumulation. It's turned into a HUGE mess all over the Atlanta metro area...motorists stranded overnight on interstates, semi-trucks jackknifed. Very icy roads. It took me 3 hours to get home yesterday. Normally...it takes me 35 minutes. 

So, on this Wednesday, I am so glad it is actually MY Saturday so didn't have to worry about heading into work. But, since it is Wednesday, it's that time of week to share my crafty work desk. Head over to Julia's Stamping Ground to see what I'm talking about. 


First off, this is my actual desk leftover from last week. I had made a birthday card for my Godson. Some empty tin containers to the left. New knitting supplies for making a winter hat. Some paints I've grabbed to work on Valentine cards. Not much really.


Last night, my "desk" was my lap I guess. I worked on my first winter hat. Went to a class last week. I'm almost to the point where I will start tapering off. 

And here's some shots of our Snowmaggeden. 


Normally I would leave work and get on this interstate (on the right side of this pic) but it was so backed up getting on I decided to take a different route home. Atlanta is in a complete gridlock!! 


Finally have arrived home, again after 3 HOURS on the road. Of course, I have nothing to complain about. I made it home. People were still stranded this morning on the roads. They slept in grocery stores or vehicles overnight. Kids were stuck at schools overnight. 


The street outside my house 


and my backyard this morning. The skies are blue, the sun is out so it'll help melt some of the icy roads. But, it'll get freeze again tonight I'm sure. 













16 comments:

  1. Your hat is turning out very well. 3 hours to get home so stinks!! Happy WOYWW #87.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hat is coming along great. Glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little hat. Doesn't this weather stink, we only had a two hour delay this morning! Of course, NJ is better prepared than where you are for sure, but it is becoming tiresome! Glad you got home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hat is so pretty! Glad you made it home girl. Looks like that one took everyone off guard. I had a friend who was crazy enough to fly into Atlanta during the whole thing and now he's stuck in the airport! Usually, here in the Ozarks, they are pretty good about cleaning off the main streets right away. I guess he thought it wouldn't be a problem. Hope the sun comes out and melts your messy streets! Be safe. Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh #20

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hat is looking so gorgeous!! I can't wait to see it when you finish!!

    I just saw pictures on tv of the gridlock in Atlanta. Oh my gosh. How horrible to be stranded that long. What a mess. This has been such a bad winter. I saw that you were supposed to have freezing temps again tonight. I hope you stay warm and safe my friend. Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Gita - you poor thing - 3 hours to get home - been in a couple of those myself - NOT fun!

    Your craft desk looks so pretty and colourful - far better to be looking at that than the horrible white stuff - hoping you have a quick thaw. Thanks for your visit - stay warm and safe. MMx #43

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks cold best to stay in and craft

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you got home safe and didn't get stranded somewhere. Y'all just don't have the requisite infrastructure to deal with this freak weather (enough salt, plows, snow tires, etc.) Your hat is coming along great! Happy WOYWW and thanks for visiting. ~ Laura #83

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good that you got home safely- my goodness three hours to get home is a long time. I always thought that it was only in UK that everything came to a standstill in the snow. Stay safe. Anne x #63

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! I'm glad you got home safely! Three hours is a long time, but I'm glad you are home!

    This is my first winter in the house - and the first time they've had such crazy ice storms in a long time. Its taking some getting used to for me. But I won't complain about a day off for a bit of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Gita, do you want some of our heat wave we are having, how horrible to take that long to get home from work. It does look cold and dismal but also pretty and kind of surreal. I would be doing knitting in that weather to try and put the layers on to stay warm, how horrible for the people that were stranded, my heart goes out to them. Thanks for popping in to say hi and for leaving a message, I am in nightmare mode this week with work, everything that can go wrong is. Anyway back to the grind.

    Happy WOYWW & Happy Crafting
    Eliza & Yoda 15

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stay warm and safe and I hope that snow melts quickly and your season returns to its more typical routine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to laugh at your story, because that is a NOTHING snow storm in my neck of the woods. But for you, who doesn't have to put up with this for half your winter, I can tell it is quite traumatic. And of course, when you don't have snow, the roads get that film from oil on them, which makes stopping difficult. It doesn't appear there were any snowplows or salt to aid the road, either. I can only imagine your gridlock. Glad you were able to find an alternate route home and get a day off in the process.

    I enjoyed your "lap desk" and the hat that looks like it is knitting up nicely.

    Thanks for visiting me already and happy slightly belated WOYWW from #1.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only like snow on a Christmas Card. No fun when you have to drive in it (or have a loved one driving).
    Love the look of your hat, what a pretty colour.
    Hugs & Thanks for visiting me earlier, sorry I am so late - Neet 50

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the sort of snow that causes Britain to come to a grinding halt - we just aren't used to it..your more Northern States are experiencing fearsome amounts aren't they..argh. So glad you made it home safely. it's the freezing afdter the melting that is treacherous by comparison, so do take real care.
    As for your desk - you still have great light and I too, have grabbed some stuff for valentines and then done absolutely nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hii didnt know you got snow in the souxth but af least you have stuffx to do avnmd arent stucxk iut in it
    janet

    ReplyDelete