Thursday, December 5, 2013

Flat Susan's visit in GA

Hi Everyone. Gosh, I feel like I've hardly blogged for the last couple months. Well, I guess I haven't. Especially last month. Hopefully this month I can make up for it and get my cards, etc posted to share. 

In the meantime, I've had a little guest with me..her name is Flat Susan and you can find out all about her and her travels here

Last week she got a chance to play in the snow. I was completely shocked when I awoke the day before Thanksgiving to find snow had fallen. It was in the forecast for Atlanta, but I live about 30 minutes south so wasn't expecting anything. Well, I was wrong!!! 


I guess it was more of a snow/ice mixture. 


The next day we celebrated Thanksgiving. I made dinner and my sister, brother in law, and his mom came over. And Thanksgiving...was the coldest since 1911. Goodness gracious! 

Earlier this week we went to Callaway Gardens (about an hour south of my house) to see the Festival of Lights. It's one of the "Top 10 Places to See Holiday Lights" according to their website and National Geographic Traveler. Well it didn't disappoint...(but, it started raining, again, while we were driving through!)











Yesterday, Flat Susan got to pick out my Christmas Tree. We went to a tree farm to see what they have...


Oh, and remember the cold, snowy weather we had last week? Well, it was 70 degrees outside!!! Ca-razy weather (which just continues from spring and summer...). 


A Fraser Fir was picked out (pre-cut from NC). To me, they just seem more like a Christmas tree anyway. And here it is...


Flat Susan helped hang up some of my mom's ornaments. She used to make Lithuanian ornaments for years and years. Traditional ones are made with paper straw but these are made with white drinking straws.  


The crosses are my favorite. 


Today, Flat Susan left Georgia and is making her way to North Carolina. in the hills of North Carolina to be exact to visit with Sandee. I had the chance to meet Sandee last April. We had lunch and I saw where all her handmade goodies are displayed for sale at a fun artist's store. I have my 2 best friends that live quite close by so I stopped off to meet her. I'm sure FS will love her visit. Asheville, NC is gorgeous! 

9 comments:

  1. LOVE the Christmas tree, it's beautiful! I am looking forward to Flat Susan's visit and hopefully you can visit again too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I forgot, those ornaments that your mother made are amazing, I can't believe she made them from straws!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, such changes in your weather. Guess you have a hard time working out what to wear each day - jumper/tshirt! Looks like Flat Susan had a great time with you. Love that light display and the decorations are superb. Your mum is so clever. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so cold and rainy down here in central FL before turkey day I thought we would might get snow! Love the holiday lights and your tree is gorgeous. I bet FS enjoyed her visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your decorations and your tree is beautiful. How lucky FS was to see all those lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos of the lights. Flat Susan has had a busy time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like Flat Susan had a wonderful time!! Those lights are so amazing...I would love to see them!! And your tree is gorgeous!! I love the straw ornaments!! Wow, they are fabulous!! You should link your tree up at Decorate to Celebrate (http://decoratetocelebrate.blogspot.com/) Have a great weekend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was amazing, Gita! First of all, I can't believe you got snow like that! What a whacky weather year this continues to be. Secondly, thank you for sharing that awesome light festival! Your tree is so pretty!! FS must have loved her stay with you!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Those lights are gorgeous! And I love your tree too!

    ReplyDelete